opinionOPINION

Who's familiar with DINGBATS puzzle games? What are "DINGBATS®"? DINGBATS® are cunningly disguised names, phrases and sayin...

Who's familiar with DINGBATS puzzle games?
What are "DINGBATS®"?
DINGBATS® are cunningly disguised names, phrases and sayings that are turned around, upside-down, sideways or jumbled up. You need to work out the hidden word or phrase on each card. It could be the size, position or direction that will give you a clue. Sometimes, the pictures combined with a word or a number will give you your answer.
For example:

Improvement
Improvement

Improvement
Improvement
The answer to this one is: there is always room for improvement.
I want this game. :D
The heading of this blog post is also a DINGBAT.
opinionOPINION
I'm not going to post the answer to that one. Figure it out and comment at the bottom with what you think the answer is.
Its quite an easy one.
This past Saturday my friends and I were at a student street party/rag/concert thing. We went there because there was a band playing that Geni had been dying to see. I say 'dying' in the exaggerated manner employed by devout music/band/artist fans. Dying!
Anyway, after the fantastic, life-saving band had done its thing and after a 45min interval in which we got separated into 3 groups and got lost, (not a good idea), most of us managed to find each other again for the next act.
The next act: A local band singing in a local language and since we were in Pretoria, the language was Afrikaans. I don't speak much Afrikaans. Or understand much of it either when its been sung from a stage with a herd of adoring fans singing along, yelling, dancing and doing other concerty things at their feet. Needless to say, it was mostly lost on me. To the rest of the crowd however, of which the majority were Afrikaans students, the band was great! In fact, it was better than the previous band. Natuurlik.
Interesting to see how the Afrikaans people lost interest in the English singing band and the English people lost interest in the Afrikaans singing band. I guess communicating to someone in their home language really does change their attitude towards you.
Mind you, if I'm going to learn Afrikaans it won't be at the feet of a 'rock band'.

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. I happen to own Dingbats - I stole it from my parents when I moved out!! Perhaps we should arrange a trade at some point ... I am seriously in need of art for my house :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've thought about it a bit, and actually my Dingbats aren't available for trade ... I like them too much :) But I still need art for my house, so I guess I will just have to pay the old fashioned way (with money) ... we should talk.

      Delete
  2. Ditto... so apparently I now own a coffee table... lol, know what that means? =P although i have no dingbats to trade =( ermmm... and small and large opinions? lol... Im bad at them as well apparently.
    Haha, cool evening. Next post should be about the friendly giants that frequent such concerts in pretoria as well ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooooooh... yes i know what that means. we shall have to talk :)

      ok,ok, i will tell you: Difference of opinion

      Delete

Instagram